I came home and it hung in the sewing room for a few days until Saturday when I was able to go to Hobby Lobby to look for fabric (Joanns' temporary store right now is small and doesn't have near the selection they used to). I came away with 2 1/2 yards of pretty navy material for just over $4! Needless to say, I was excited! I had bought a dress and fabric to go with it for just under $10!!! :)
Yesterday afternoon I got down to work. Here's a picture of it before I did anything.

Notice how much it's dragging on the ground. When this picture was taken we had gotten home from church a while before and I was still wearing my 1 1/2- to 2-inch heels. I ended up taking a good 4 1/2 inches off the hem.
My idea was to make a short bolero, sash and then bunch up the skirt with some roses, showing a contrasting underskirt. Here's the bottom of the skirt (though in this picture you can't really see the underskirt). I was going to just do navy roses but then thought that some of the light blue (that I'd cut from the bottom of the skirt) might add a good touch. Right now I'm debating whether to redo them so they're smaller or just leave them. Any input would be great. :) Abbie says they could be a bit smaller, Daniel says they're good, and my Aunt Tammy says they're perfect. What do you think? :)
And here it is!! The finished project. This was fun to play with and I think I'll definitely keep my eyes open for good deals on formal dresses from now on. :)

4 comments:
I think it's cute. :-) I think that if the roses were any other size the dress wouldn't look right. Leave them. :-)
Blessings,
KallyLyn
I don't know. Since I can't really picture what smaller ones would look like, I'd say just leave them. :) Looks like you had fun. :) It's pretty.
cute! I think perhaps having the flowers a tad bit smaller could help. but, what about rotating them so that the line of flowers is vertical instead of horizontal? my only other suggestion would be to tucked up part a little more to the left - but, it may just be the angle of the photo. I love what you've done to this - the silver and navy combo is *stunning*. good work, I can't wait to see what other wonderful makeovers you do! <3
I *really*, *really*, *really* like it! :)
~Johanna Kautt
Post a Comment