The plan was to leave the house by 7 (mostly my idea, as I wanted every minute possible to spend with Amy, even if we WERE just sitting in meetings). I was ready by then... but unforseen circumstances kept another member of the party (whose name I will hear leave unmentioned) from being ready and so it was an hour before we got out of the house and more like an hour and 15 minutes before we left town (we had to get gas). Our drive was pretty much uneventful and we arrived at our destination about 10:15... right in the middle of one of the sessions.
I spotted Amy almost immediately, sitting about halfway up next to a special friend of hers. There was an empty seat on her other side and I wanted to go take it but instead I sat in the back with Dad until the current speaker finished. Some people would've gone straight up but something told me to just sit with Dad until I could go when it might not be QUITE as noticeable (yeah right!). So, Luke having deserted us to sit on the side near the back with his friend Seth, Dad, Daniel and I took some empty seats near the back, putting me directly behind Amy, several rows back.
Generally when listening to a speaker like that I will listen, understand (at least somewhat) and sit patiently. But Saturday I was NOT in the mood to sit there! I must admit that I waited rather impatiently for the speaker to finish, counting down the minutes before I could let Amy know I was in the room. It was only about 25 minutes and thankfully the time passed somewhat quickly. Finally he closed and they started getting things ready for the next musicians (who happened to be among my favorites). Then Amy started looking around. She knew I was coming but didn't know when I would be there or if I had gotten there already. I waited with a smile, knowing that she would see me eventually... and if she took too long I'd just get up and go get my hug from her. But she just did NOT turn all the way around! After a minute she turned her head enough to see Daniel waving. THEN she turned around! :) And of course I went straight up and took that coveted seat on her other side, getting my hug before I had hardly stepped into the row!
Let me tell you, even if we couldn't talk, it was wonderful just being able to be near Amy after a year of only seeing her in pictures and over the webcam. Before the singers finished I was able to say hello to only a few of the people (3 or 4 that I meant while coming in and 2 - besides Amy - when I moved up beside her. So when everyone got up to go their separate ways to lunch I was able to greet some more of my personal friends, as well as talk with Amy a bit more.
As it turned out, I was invited (and accepted, gladly) to have lunch with Amy and her family while Dad and the boys (as I found out later) went with some other families. The little restaurant we planned on going to was full (as in, no room at all in the open part) so we went to Amy's little condo down the road a bit and had quesadillas, and nutella on crackers. Simple yet wonderful! I love quesadillas but rarely get them so having some on Saturday was a real treat. :)
For the next hour and a half or so we sat around and ate, talked, and listened to Mr. W's stories (I must say, he is a very good story-teller... whether the story is true or not). But at last we had to go back as the afternoon sessions were about to start. Amy and I, however, had other plans. While Mrs. W, Jared and Timothy went inside to hear the next musicians and speaker, and Mr. W returned to the condo to prepare his message for later in the afternoon, Amy and I headed out for a time just the two of us to talk and just be together.
First stop, a little consignment shop in the same strip as the conference room. I had been in there once or twice before but apparently Amy hadn't so we decided to go together. And there we got the one picture we were destined to take that day of the 2 of us... and the camera perversely decided to focus on the clothing racks behind us! :( But here it is, as it turned out.

After wandering around that shop for a little while we went a few stores down to a tiny purse store and then a woodshop. I think of those 2, the latter would have to be my favorite. I LOVE woodwork! As I told Amy, one day I'd love to live in a little cottage (which, in my mind, is generally surrounded by roses, bush and climbing) that looks like a rustic ranch-style house inside with all kinds of beautiful wood furniture! :) Anyway, then we spent the next while just sitting the back seat of our car just talking. You'll never know how great it is to just sit and talk with such a great friend until you've done it... and I'm not sure if anyone else has such a great friend as I did to share that time with! ;)
But at last we returned to the conference room. We'd missed one music group and one speaker for the afternoon but there was still about 2 hours or so left of sitting so we sat... but this time I wasn't so impatient for it to end (until the chairs started to get really uncomfortable - which most chairs do after sitting in them too long). To end the day's sessions we got to hear one of the best family bands I know... but one of the only families that hasn't made a CD!
Within half an hour or so the potluck meal was spread out and people were starting through the line. While standing in line I made a new friend. A darling little girl named Gracie was in front of me with her older sister and Gracie apparently decided she liked me. :) So I got to spend the rest of the wait in line and part of supper playing with her. After she finished eating she ran off to play but I wasn't completely deserted. A whole circle had gathered where I was sitting including Amy, Timothy, and Daniel, among others. In the course of the conversation I was asked if we were staying for the dance afterwards. I had no idea. I really wanted to but at that point I didn't know if Dad would want to leave right after we ate or not. So I just waited and hoped.
9:00 the first dance (the Virginia Reel) was about to start and Dad was ready to leave but kindly said we could stay about 15 minutes more. So, having already been asked for that specific dance, I went off with my partner for what I guessed would be my only dance of the night. If you know me, you know that I love contra dancing so I went in fully prepared to enjoy myself... and I did. Not to mention the fact that my partner was a good dancer and quite entertaining to be with. :)
At the end of the dance everyone headed to the adjoining room for water and I prepared to say goodbye, knowing that Dad was ready to leave. But when I returned to the main room to find Dad Luke was talking to him, obviously about staying a little longer. :) Dad walked around the room to where Daniel F. was getting ready for the next dance (Golden Slippers) and talked to him for a few minutes before coming back and informing us that we could stay two more dances, so we could do the Posties Jig (right after Golden Slippers)!!
But at last it was time to go. You've had those good byes that take longer than they "should" and that's how it was Saturday night. It didn't take as long as it could have to get out the door, as long as I would've liked it, but we did have to leave. We already wouldn't get home till after midnight. Most of the drive home was spent in talking about random things related to the events of the day. But somewhere around half an hour to an hour before getting home the boys started dropping off to sleep and the conversation died down. I tried to keep talking and such, to make sure the driver (a.k.a. my Dad) didn't fall asleep but even that was harder to do. I was glad we weren't too far from home.
And so ended a wonderful day! I wish it could have lasted longer but they say every good thing must come to an end. I suppose there is some truth to this... but I'm so glad it's not completely true! There are so many good things that need never end though one main one: life with Jesus Christ. One day we shall live with Him and EVERYTHING will be good and eternal!

No comments:
Post a Comment