Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Thing the Church is Losing

I love the old hymns. Growing up my Dad played a variety of songs, hymns, choruses, Scripture songs, etc. It was all sung in meaningful worship to God. So I naturally love a variety of Christian songs. But recently more and more I've noticed how many people in my generation dislike the hymns. There's just something about a hymnal. You get it out and start singing and, if they sing at all, they seem to shut down. No longer do you have the excitement and enthusiasm they put into the other songs you've been singing. Instead it's almost like they sing just because that's what they're supposed to do. Hymns have gotten a bad rap over the recent years, often as being boring. And I understand. I totally understand it. Having spent a number of years attending churches that sang only hymns, I see exactly where they're coming from. I don't know what's happened but somehow in the churches that sing all or mostly hymns have lost their spark and enthusiasm. Singing is just singing. Singing isn't a prayer to God. I even wonder how many people actually KNOW what they're singing. What are the words passing our lips? Do we even think about it? I have a simple challenge for everyone who might read this. Pick up a hymnal and actually READ the words to a song. Read them and think about what they actually mean. And see if it doesn't mean more to you next time you sing a hymn.



1 comment:

Jessica said...

YES!! I'm so glad that at least most of my friends love hymns too, and that I'm part of churches that sing out of hymnals. :D