I heard a story recently of a farmer many years ago who watched helplessly as a woman and her children climbed to the roof of their home in an attempt to escape the swollen flood waters of the river that swept through their valley. The farmer had no boat to reach her with, and even if he had it would have been nigh impossible to get the small group safely to shore. As he watched it was evident that the house was about to succumb to the raging river so the farmer shouted to the woman to get her children into a nearby tree. Hardly had she done so than the house collapsed and was swept away. Others joined this farmer as he shouted encouragements to the woman. Night fell and they built a bonfire on the shore, continuing to call out to keep her awake, there in the tree. As they kept up their vigil the first farmer searched for a way to reach this woman and her children. Gathering a few supplies he built a raft and, come morning, he was as ready as he could be. He turned to the other men who had stayed so faithfully through the night. "I can't do this alone," he said. "Is there a man among who you who will volunteer to go with me? I don't know if we'll make it but I
must try." One by one the farmers refused, many saying they'd promised their wives that they wouldn't go out on that river. They'd promised that they'd come home. That they wouldn't do anything dangerous. Finally one man, the smallest, weakest of them all, stepped forward. "I'll go. I didn't promise my wife that I wouldn't." And so the two men took the raft upriver and set out into the raging river. They did rescue the woman and her children, and returned safely to land, despite the dangers. Both were awarded for their bravery and their families remember it to this day.

There are so many things that could be taken from this story but one stood out to me: all of those strong men wouldn't help because they'd promised their wives they wouldn't. The preacher who told this story simply said "Women, don't stand in the way of your husbands doing the work of God." But I wouldn't stop there. I'm not married yet but someday I want to be, and I don't want to be the kind of wife who just doesn't stand in the way of my husband doing what God calls him to do. I want to be a wife who is right there next to him. A wife who is helping build the raft, so to speak. And a wife who will stand in the way of her husband giving up and turning back when the way is hard.
The marriage relationship is about working together to fulfill God's role for us. A husband and wife are supposed to be a
team in whatever work God has for them. A wife's job is to be at her husband's side playing her part in that work. Not holding him back, but also not holding back herself.
Another man I heard recently spoke of William Booth when he wanted to start a ministry for the people on the streets of London. His church wasn't sold on his ideas but told him they would make a decision at their denomination's convention. The decision was a decided "No," and they pressured William to give it up, forget about it. He was beginning to waver when a voice from the balcony suddenly cried out "No, William! Never!" It was his wife. Because of her he regained his strength and went out and started the Salvation Army.
That is the kind of wife I want to be: the wife who doesn't stand in the way of God's work but will be right there with her husband no matter what, and, when he begins to waver, will stand the way of him turning back.
No comments:
Post a Comment