Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Period Films: Belle

      If you know me you might have discovered the fact that one of my very favorite parts of watching a movie is looking at the characters' wardrobes. I believe the costuming in a film does just as much (if not more) for the story as the quality of acting and the dialogue (I'm sure many would argue with me here but I still hold to my opinion). A good costumer tells a story with the clothing they put on their character. If you're paying attention you can see the character arc simply by looking at the details in his or her wardrobe, sometimes even without actually seeing the movie. And so yes, I often base my interest in a film on the costumes (this is not my only reason, let me assure you, but it plays a large part in whether or not I even look into watching a movie).
    I recently re-watched one of my favorite movies, "Belle," the story of a mulatto heiress in 18th century England. I go back and forth on my opinion of the fashions of that era but my interest has been piqued once again so I thought I'd share some shots of a few of my favorite dresses worn by the main character, Dido.

 I think my very favorite would have to be this light, springy frock Dido wears when we first see her as an adult and then several times throughout the movie.

 Not only is it simple and still youthful but it is elegant, feminine and is a picture of innocent grace




  Not quite as lovely (in my humble opinion) as the ivory flowered dress is this blue outfit she wears when she encounters Mr. Davinier.
  While it's not my favorite I absolutely love the details on the neckline and sleeves. That's one bit that I hope to incorporate in some future project.


   Perhaps the most stunning of her gowns is this pink one we first see after she has agreed to marry a man of good standing in society.


 It is also the dress she wears in what I consider one of the sadder scenes of the film, where Dido's cousin Elisabeth is forced to come face-to-face with her position... or lack thereof.

 And last but not least is the lavender purple dress Dido only wears a couple of times in the film so I couldn't get many good shots but I couldn't make a list of my favorites without including it. 

      Of course Dido isn't the only one with the beautiful outfits. Elisabeth sported a number of lovely pieces which will have to wait for another post but until then, let me share my favorite of her outfits, a simple, elegant blue gown which we see at the garden party and then again inside when she and Dido play piano together.




 So there are my choices for favorite costumes from Belle. Have you seen the movie? If you haven't, stop what you're doing right now and get your hands on a copy. Not only is it a beautiful movie in and of itself but it is also based on a true story which, in my book, pretty much always makes a film even better! So go watch it and let me know what you think! :)

No comments: