Saturday, October 30, 2010

The last few months...

It's amazing the people God brings into our lives, isn't it? And the things that happen. There have been things that happened this year that I would never have dreamed of this time last year. We've done so much this year, and yet I have a hard time blogging about anything. Of course I can't tell about EVERYTHING, but still, I think a post now and then would be good... I still have a hard time with it though. ;) We've made so many wonderful friends, some from comparatively nearby, some from other states, some who became close friends almost instantly, others who did not, but just the same, they're all a part of our lives now, whether big or little.
Back in August we went to a weekend conference with some friends. My family went the night before the conference was supposed to start so we could get into the condo and just have time to relax and do "whatever" Friday morning. We weren't the only ones to go early. Several other families did the same thing and, while walking around after unloading the van, some of us ran into several, 2 or 3 of whom we already knew, and about 3 of them we had never met before, though, at least in my case, we knew of a couple of them. Little did I know that one of those first 3 that we met that weekend was to become one of the best friends I have! But anyway, the next day we wandered around, looked in some stores that were nearby, went swimming, and saw a few friends, before time for registration. After that we spent almost all of our time with the other folks at the conference. Friday evening everyone was bowling and I had planned to but during the afternoon my knee started hurting so I decided not to play. It's hard to imagine, but I'm glad my knee was hurting! Not that I don't like bowling, I do, but if I had been bowling I'm not sure that I would've become good friends with Amy so quickly. As it was, I sat up above everybody bowling and watched for a while, sometimes talking to the ladies who came and watched for a few minutes. Finally I went down to the tables to mingle with the bowlers. Naturally I seemed to migrate towards the bowling lanes where my family or friends were and, after a little bit I ended up with the folks Daniel was bowling with: Daniel (my brother), Daniel F, Braden, Blaine and Seth (all 3 brothers), and Amy. Somehow I was drawn into the group, talking and joking right along with them. And that is where my friendship with Amy really began. :)

It's amazing the little things that mount up until they're huge and SUCH a blessing (or, in some cases, anything BUT a blessing). But in this case, the little things have become a huge blessing! Ever since last September or October when Mom met the Farnums online different things have happened, leading up to this August. And then the night before the conference there was a simple, brief meeting in the parking lot, and then the next evening Amy and I were on our way to becoming best friends. They (whoever "they" may be) say that you get along best with people who are opposite you in personality, but, at least in this case, they were dead WRONG! In so many ways Amy and I are really alike! I'm not sure that I've ever "hit it off" with someone so well!
The weekend was full of speakers, music, visiting and even a super-fun dance Saturday night!!!!


Sunday, unfortunately, was the last day. :( So, after another morning session everyone began to separate. My family was loath to leave so we decided to have lunch with one of the families who would be staying till Monday. :) In the end we didn't leave till late that afternoon, spending several hours talking and playing games with the 3 or 4 other families who weren't leaving just yet. Most of the older kids congregated in one of the condos and ended up playing several card games. For a while I was with the moms and my older sisters but then after a while I joined the other kids closer to my age. ;)



But finally we had to leave. We couldn't stay forever. :( But we left, hoping to see all of our new friends again soon... and we have. :)


Several weeks later some friends had some free guest passes to Silver Dollar City that they offered to us! As it would happen, the same week we decided to go about 10 other families that we knew also went and they all went the same day!!!! Of course, all of these families didn't know each other so there were 2 main groups that we knew at SDC. We went, mainly, with the Farnums and "their" group. :)
To start out, several miles from the park we pulled to the side of the road to figure out which way to go (it had been a while since Mom or Dad had driven to Silver Dollar City). As we were stopped the F. family ended up driving past just then. They pulled to the side of the road and Mr. F. leaned out and motioned for us to follow them. Not realizing this, their son Daniel (who was driving) got out and came back to our van. What do you think his family did but drive away!!! So we ended up with an extra passenger! ;)


We all congregated in the SDC parking lot and headed toward the park entrance, a huge group of 4 families at that point (we gained some more later). Inside we ended up in different groups, the older ones heading for the "big" rides (like Wild Fire). Daniel (MY brother) has never been convinced to get on that one (for some reason none of my brothers like roller coasters) but, thanks to several other guys who were there, he was "forced" to get on. :D


Everybody (or just about everybody) in that crowd really liked the roller coasters so the workers at Wild Fire, Powder Keg and several other rides, saw us frequently throughout the day. ;) Most of the rides we rode at least twice, if not more.

Powder Keg

You HAVE to take pictures, ya know!



Waiting for folks to get off Powder Keg so we can go to another ride



One of the rides that I won't get on anymore (last time I rode it I got sick)


Saying goodbye... sorta ;)

OK, there people are really starting to say bye

Some of us decided to go to a park for supper. Ben tried to convince Kris to ride in our van... it didn't quite work :)

The rest of the evening was spent in getting to know several of the families a little better. Unfortunately there aren't many pictures from then, since it got dark pretty quickly.


Over September and the first part of October I was busy counting down the weeks and days till a very special weekend... when I would get to see so many of my new friends again... especially Amy!!!
We drove to a lovely little camp somewhere in IL where we met up with a whole group of people, some of whom we knew, some we didn't know. We were camping out in tents inside of getting a room so I got out and walked back to the campsite with Amy and her friend Laiel. The weekend was spent, a lot like the weekend in Branson back in August, in fellowship, and sessions listening to speakers and musicians.

The little boys went fishing

Dancing

Ping-pong

Volleyball (of course)

A conglomeration of musicians

One of my favorite singers... also probably the singer who first made me start to love Celtic music ;)
Sunday afternoon everyone left... except several families (including mine) who had decided to stay an extra night. That afternoon Amy and I finally got to spend some time together, just the 2 of us, to talk. It wasn't very long before other people joined us on the hill where we were sitting but it was good to get the little while that we had together.



Early the next morning several of the families (including Amy's family, unfortunately) left but 3 were still left and we spent an hour or so just visiting, getting a few last last pictures, and saying LONG good byes.
It was great seeing you all!! Can't wait till next time. ;)



1 comment:

Triplet said...

A post! I'm in shock! I thought you had decided to dump any blog readers.;)